Frequently Asked Questions - Some points on Kydex
- Kydex is a polymer that reacts to high temperatures (300* and higher) and pressure. While there are many different ways to heat and mold kydex, the process fundamentals are basically the same. Fit, finish, and service are the main points to consider when purchasing a kydex product. Wait times should be a consideration as well.
- In the past, it has been thought that kydex will result in more wear on your firearm than leather – this is a myth. Every holster, no matter the material, will affect your firearm in some way. Due to the smooth surface on the back side of kydex sheets, your firearm will be exposed to less friction, thereby reducing overt wear. Leather and nylon holsters can trap moisture, dirt and debris, while kydex’s smooth surface will not. NO MATTER WHAT some wear on your firearm is inevitable – if you desire your firearm to stay in pristine condition we recommend you keep it in a hard, foam lined case or gun safe at all times.
- Due to the unique properties of kydex, there is no “break in” period with your new kydex holster. Ride height and retention may be modified, depending on design, but the holster will work as designed as soon as you put it on. This will also allow for more positive holster engagement, allowing you to be confident your firearm is secure.
- Kydex is virtually maintenance free – a light coat of oil on the inside will aid in smooth draw of your firearm and help mitigate wear. If your kydex holster gets dirty simply rinse it with mild soap and water and allow it to dry. Re-apply some oil, and you’re good to go. All Pagan Ridge Kydex Solutions holsters are pre-treated with FIREClean brand lubricant. Additionally, all hardware has Blue Loctite applied to help keep everything where it’s supposed to be. Blue Loctite is your friend!
- As with any firearm or accessory, the Rules of Gun Safety should ALWAYS be followed to keep you and others safe. This applies to holsters, no matter the make or manufacture. It is important to know that NO HOLSTER will prevent accidents if the Rules of Gun Safety are not followed.
WE KNOW YOU HAVE MANY OPTIONS FOR KYDEX, AND APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS! THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING PAGAN RIDGE KYDEX SOLUTIONS!